Richmond Home

Disability Services FAQ

Who is the University professional responsible for disability services for students at the University of Richmond?

Dr. Tinina Cade, Director of Disability Services. Dr. Cade is assisted by the Disability Advisors from the offices of Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health, T.C. Williams Law School and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Who decides what academic accommodations a student receives?

The University’s disability advisors make case-by-case determinations of the student’s need for requested accommodations. The application and documentation is forwarded to the designated disability advisors.

What accommodations are provided?

The University provides reasonable accommodations for access into academics, services, and facilities. All accommodations are determined on an individual, case-by-case basis in discussions with disability advisors.

Can I appeal decisions about my accommodations?

Yes, the University does have an appeals/grievance process.

What type of documentation of my disability does the University require?

The University of Richmond's documentation requirements are adapted from two national organizations: the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and the Association of Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD).

How current must my documentation be?

Since academic accommodations are based on the present impact of the disability, the diagnostic reports and evaluations should be current. 

How do I apply for accommodations?
Should I send the documents pertaining to my disability to the admissions office?

No. The admissions office does not need information regarding an applicant’s disability and will not consider a student’s disability status or need for accommodation when making admissions decisions. Admission to the University of Richmond is based on the requirements outlined in the college catalog and are made without regard to disabilities. Application for disability accommodations are only processed after a student is admitted to the University. Review the application process.

When should I notify the University of Richmond about my disability?

Students are encouraged to register with the disability office at any time after they have been admitted to the University — the sooner the better. Documentation will not be processed until after students have been admitted.

Am I required to show documentation of my disability to professors/instructors?

No, professors are provided Disability Accommodation Notices (DAN), delivered by the student, which identify the individual as a student with a disability and list the accommodations that have been approved for that student. No additional documentation is required for the professor. Students are encouraged to have discussions with their professors about what their needs are and how their accommodations will be put in place; however, students are not required to disclose the specific nature of their disability issues.

What if I need special housing accommodations?

Housing accommodations are available for students whose medical related conditions or disabilities substantially limit their housing needs. However, to be considered for such special housing, they must submit a completed application for disability accommodations and documentation to the University Disability Director, Dr. Tinina Cade, by Jan. 15 if they are returning students or May 15 if they are entering first year students. Applications are accepted after these deadlines but may delay review.

Submitting a disability medical accommodation request does not automatically guarantee a space in University housing. Students are encouraged to consult and meet with their disability advisors each year or as indicated. Annual applications are encouraged should there be changes in accommodation needs and medical conditions.

If a transfer student with disabilities has taken a foreign language at a different college or university, does the student still need to take a second (foreign language at the University of Richmond?

Credits taken at another university are evaluated with the registrar's office to determine if the course(s) and credits meet the Com 2 requirement.

How often must I provide new documentation to the disability advisors?

Once an individual is already registered as a matriculating student with a disability, further documentation is generally not required. However, if there are changes in the student’s condition or the student requires further accommodations that are not warranted through the initial documentation, further evaluation may be requested.

Why do I need to meet with my disability advisor every academic year?

Student needs change from time to time and from class to class. It is therefore a good idea for students to consider how their needs are being served and if there are any additional accommodations that are necessary. Students may be requested to provide an updated Disability Accommodation Notice each new academic year.

I think that I may have a learning disability. What should I do?

Make an appointment with the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to discuss these concerns. 

Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorders, and Psychiatric Disabilities
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
Sarah Brunet Hall
University of Richmond
Tel: (804) 289-8119
Fax: (804) 287-1227

I have a physical disability and do not need any accommodations. Do I have to meet with the disability advisor?

No student is required to register with Disability Services or meet with a disability advisor. However, it is highly recommended that students with disabilities advise the Office of Undergraduate Student Housing (if the student plans to reside on campus) or Safety Services for planning emergency evacuation and support.     

What is UR's policy on attendance for students with disabilities?

The disability advisors do not determine course attendance policies at UR. Students are required to adhere to policies established by faculty that are outlined on the course syllabus and catalog.

Who will be informed about my disability?

Disability documentation is considered confidential information and does not become part of a student's academic transcript.

When should I submit an application for disability accommodations?

Although you can disclose your disability at any time, it is highly recommended that you do so as soon as possible in order to receive appropriate accommodations and services in a timely manner.

As a student with a disability, why would I benefit from academic accommodations?

Accommodations are provided in order to ensure that students with disabilities are not excluded from and can enjoy the benefits of the academic and other programs and facilities offered by the University.

What do I do if I have a learning disability that may affect my ability to learn a foreign language?

The University has a second language competency requirement. Students who have a documented learning disability that may impair the ability to learn a foreign language and who wish to seek academic accommodations should complete and submit an application for disability accommodations. The student’s application will be evaluated and the appropriate disability advisor will work with the student to identify the accommodations, if any, that are appropriate and reasonable.

If I have been granted an accommodation to take my classroom examinations in a distracted reduced environment, how should I proceed?

You should present your disability accommodation notice to your faculty immediately, arrange to meet with the faculty member to discuss the implementation of the accommodation, and follow-up with an e-mail to the professor. Additional resources such as the testing center may be available to you as a part of your accomodation.

How do I transition from the academic environment to the world of work?

Many employers make disability inclusive diversity a priority within their organization. The Office of Alumni and Career Services can assist students with their transition to the world of work by offering the following services:                     

  • Major and career exploration through assessment tools and career advising
  • Job-seeking skills, resume development and interview preparation
  • Self-advocacy and self-disclosure skill development
  • Information regarding rights, responsibilities and options for reasonable accommodation in the workplace
  • An online database of career opportunities, SpiderConnect
  • Ask Jan:Job Accomodation Network

All of our career advisors are generalists and can help students of any major or career interest area develop a career action plan. Additionally, they have specific industry programming responsibilities. To make an appointment, call Career Services at (804) 289-8547, or stop by the office in Tyler Haynes Commons, Suite 306. The office is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Drop-in advising is available weekdays from 2–4 p.m., during the fall and spring semesters when classes are in session.

Contact Disability Services

Tinina Cade, Associate Vice President
Office for Student Development
28 Westhampton Way
University of Richmond, 23173
(804) 289-8032

For Staff and Faculty

Carl Sorensen, Associate Vice President, Human Resources
(804) 289-8747